How can we improve Mixer?

Age Lockout

With the current influx of Xbox users hitting our chats, most of them being well underage and posting inappropriate things.

Would it be an idea to lock the accounts who haven't entered their DOB from using chat? And those who have entered their DOB into their account and are underage, lock them out of 18+ streams.

And have a flag system where if a user has been flagged as a spammer, or someone who posts inappropriate things be locked out of chat all together. otherwise they will just jump to another channel spreading their filth.

24 votes
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)

We’ll send you updates on this idea

Adam Wakefield shared this idea  ·   ·  Flag idea as inappropriate…  ·  Admin →

3 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • ThePerry commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

If a game is rated 18+ it's rated 18+ for a reason, that means that the stream is rated 18+ regardless of the broadcaster "behaving" 18+, teen or family friendly. And that's also the reason why Mixer auto-sets an Xbox or "Game bar" stream to the proper age setting from the current game being played. It's as easy as if the stream is marked as 18+ don't allow users without DOB on their account or with a DOB less than 6 months within the current rating. So 18+ allows 17 1/2 and up.. Teen allows 12 1/2 and family friendly allows everyone regardless of DOB setting. The 6 months +/- would leave some leeway. I know there are 13 year old that aren't even 11 in their head just as there are 17 years old that behaves like 20+ which depends on their individual life experience and maturity. But there should really be a block system on the platform that filters these age restrictions automatically.

I also agree on the flagging system for users being reported multiple times. That way there can be incorporated some sort of "warning" system for the moderators/streamers on the platform where they get a heads up when a person with multiple recent reports/bans/timeouts attached to their account enters their channel, this could also open up for giving the streamers options to allow these users to pass by and chat, be stopped from entering chat/interactive, maybe also even send that user a warning that they are being monitored for earlier behaviour.
        This can also open up for bots with filters monitoring the chat so they see that this user has been flagged within the last 6 hours and if the current users gets a new timeout in THIS channel place a ban/timeout on the user for x hours.

DOB should be a requirement for all type of accounts, there are a lot of underage ones using PC as well, so it's not only an Xbox issue, but it's easier to enforce on the Xbox, but if you are logged in with an underage account on PC you are logged in and the site knows it. Of course it can be bypassed by going incognito, but then you aren't allowed to chat either, so it helps regarding to inappropriate stuff in chat.

• twiggy5000 commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

My only problem with this is mixer defualts streamers play 18+ games to 18+ even if theyre set to teen by their stealthy mods, this is wrong in my opinion as a parent can let a 4 years old play cod and not even the law can object even if they saw it happen point being if a kid gets on your stream and is mature lets say 15-17 but their DOB doesn't match that 18+ after a mod changed it even though I am family friendly bordering on teen it screws over 90% of my chatty viewers and I wouldn't even know

• Valsis commented  ·   ·  Flag as inappropriate

As I see this as a briliant idea, restricting viewers from +18 streams may undermine broadcasters who are streaming content that is set as "Adult" or "Mature" by ESRB (Entertainment Software Rating Board) when they themselves aren't, by norm, +18 rated.

What I would suggest instead would be:
        - Locking Mixer access to Xbox accounts from users who do not have their DoB set
        - If DoB is set and user is under the allowed age on Mixer, that account should be locked until the user has the allowed age to be in the platform
        - If banned user tries to come back with an alternate account and fake DoB, the Xbox account ID should be blocked to prevent ban evasion until the user is of age.

Taking into consideration that persons with the age of 13 can be in the platform under the supervision of their legal guardians, all that needs to be done is those steps above.

Feedback and Knowledge Base